Tutoring Services :
Jacquelyn Werner, M.Ed., Director firstname.lastname@example.org
Mary Levenson, Coordinator email@example.com
Elisabeth Greer, Writing Lab Coordinator firstname.lastname@example.org
Harold Washington College's Tutoring Center offers free tutoring and academic support services to assist students in achieving personal and academic success. Tutors are available in a wide variety of subjects to assist students through one-on-one and group tutoring sessions. We encourage any student to seek tutoring to gain a deeper comprehension of course content and to enhance learning development.
Taking advantage of tutoring services is quick and easy.
- Check tutor availability or make an appointment using GradesFirst. Log into GradesFirst. On your homepage, you'll see your courses listed and a link to schedule a tutor appointment. You can find drop in tutoring services or make an appointment.
- Visit our Learning Resource Center. Meet the tutoring staff and make arrangements for tutoring services.
- Learning Resource Center (main) - Room 409
- Art Tutoring - 8th Floor (must be currently enrolled in an HWC Art course)
- Applied Sciences - 7th Floor
- Math Tutoring - Room 702
- Music Tutoring - 3rd Floor
- Science Tutoring - Room 923
- Writing Tutoring Lab - Room 407A
Tips for a Successful Tutoring Session:
- What Tutors and Students can accomplish together. We are happy to assist you with study prep, note taking, brainstorming, and final revisions, but please do not wait until the last minute to request tutoring services. It is important to remember that tutoring sessions are limited in time, so plan accordingly.
- Come prepared to tutoring sessions. Bring any relevant textbooks, syllabi, class materials, notes, and papers. It is easier for the tutors to provide excellent tutoring service if you bring the appropriate materials to a tutoring session. Additionally, it is important for your tutor to refer back to any relevant materials provided by your instructor.
- Read your textbook and any relevant material provided by your instructor. It is difficult for you to understand the course material if you have not read assigned pages from the textbook. Additionally, the tutors cannot provide assistance if you have not read the appropriate material(s).
- Come with a plan and questions. Know what material you would like to cover within that tutoring session. Actively participate in the tutoring sessions by having a list of questions to ask your assigned tutor.
- Tutors can only help with homework concepts and assignments. We strongly encourage you to attempt to complete your assignment prior to requesting a tutor so you can take note of specific concepts where you need help. You and your tutor can review these concepts and work through similar problems. However, the tutor cannot do your homework for you nor help you with take-home tests, quizzes, or projects.
- Use your tutoring time wisely. Your time with the tutor is valuable. Please do not talk on your cell phone or cause distractions while working with your assigned tutor.
Group Tutoring Link Sign Up
Take the Tutoring Satisfaction Survey here!
Apply for Peer Tutoring Position
Subjects Available for Tutoring:
Accounting Anthropology Applied Sciences Architecture
Other Tutoring Centers:
Art Biology Business Chemistry
Child Development Chinese CIS Economics
English ESL French History
Humanities Italian Japanese Literature
Math Music Philosophy Physics
Psychology Social Science Spanish Speech